Saturday, August 26, 2006

babies, education and books

I always have a feeling of sadness when finishing a book. The characters or plot or ideas become like part of my life and then suddenly they are gone, and I'm left by myself. I guess I can take solace in the fact that I will never run out of books to read.

I just finished Freakonomics, and it brought up some really interesting things to me, and focused on some things that I have always gotten a little soap boxy about, such as Head Start Programs. I am a big proponant of head start programs in that I do believe education is the great equalizer, but that opportunities for quality education vary greatly. Theoretically Head Start helps bridge the gap for students who are at risk or do not have exposure to many early learning experiences. Freakonomics showed that Head Start had no effect on later success. No, I'm not actually surprised by this. I did use the word theoretically, because when teachers are overworked and underpaid, and for the job only requires a two year degree, Head Start will do little more than serve as a free daycare service.

The book also explores the relationship between a decrease in crime rates and the legalization of abortion. This is an interesting fact, and yes I'm using the word fact. The authors are economists, they can prove it. I want to believe it isn't true, I want to jump on the pro-life bandwagon I used to live on, but I can't. I can see the logic, with children born into homes where they essentially were not wanted to parents who were likley not in the position to raise them it is not surprising they become criminals. I have many mixed feelings on abortion, and my general conclusion is that I have no right to judge what other people do with their lives because I am not in the situation. Regardless of your position on abortion, I think this also screams the need for more education about and access to birth control. The US has the highest teen pregnancy rate of any industrialized nation, which continues a cycle of poverty that is hard to escape.

I guess if education is the great equalizer, I'll continue doing my best to educate the kiddos I work with, even if some days I think its not enough to make a difference.

"Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness"

1 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

Hi Tara! It's funny to see who manages to find out about the blog. There's a comment posted from "Kristy," although I don't have a clue who that might be!

At any rate, I read Freakonomics earlier this summer...and I loved it. I noticed on your profile that you read the Alchemist...that's on my list of books I want to read. I'm hoping that it's not preachy though...I've heard that he's written other religious stuff. I'm reading State of Fear right now...I'm only halfway through, but I really recommend it.

Well, this has become more of a full-length email than a basic post...I think it's the caffeine from the coffee I shouldn't have drank earlier in the evening that's taking over.

Hope all is well with you...take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home