Sunday, June 25, 2006

crazy is as crazy does

I recently heard someone say that no relationship will ever work because all guys are stupid and all girls are crazy. I think this was a very wise statement. I'm not quite as cynical. . . I think sometimes if your stupid and crazy compliment eachother just right there is a chance it will work.

I have far too much time on my hands these days to think. It isn't healthy, but here are some observations I've made:

-Family Feud is an unfair show. You can be kicking butt the first three rounds, but whoever wins the fourth round is going to win the show. It's bullshit.

-I admire the reckless abandon with which children eat. Complete disregard for if food is all over their face or clothes and pure enjoyment of what they are consuming.

-When allowed too much time to think, I fall into the crazy category way more than usual. For this, I apologize.

-Although online services are wonderful and I use them a lot, they can also allow for some degree of confusion. Did I really buy a plane ticket to Japan? I think so, but I'm not sure. Did I really consolidate my loans? I think so, but I'm not sure.

"What looks like crazy on an ordinary day looks a lot like love if you catch it in the moonlight" --Pearl Cleage

then again, sometimes I'm just crazy

1 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Tara,
I've always found it a great compliment anytime anyone calls me crazy. Crazy to me is just another word for different or original, and both are good things. I'm finding out that people, no matter what country you're in, are afraid to be viewed as different. We all try so hard to fit in and look and think and act like everyone else, when in reality, it's okay to be different. I feel like my whole life, I've tried to always be like everyone else, and I was so frightened of any differences I had. Now I embrace and love what makes me unique. Being in Korea, I'm really missing being a minority. It's so strange seeing everyone on the street have the same hair, eye color, and eye shape as me. How boring:( I miss NOT looking like everyone else. Different is good and okay, and not something anyone should be scared of.
In fact, the people who are labelled as "crazy", I find, are actually the intelligent ones who have it together. I have a good example of this. An English teacher here was telling me how in one of his classes, he has a student that all the other students make fun of because he has different ideas and actually uses creative thought and skill in everything he does. If asked to draw something, he won't copy from a picture that already exists like the other students do. If asked to talk about or write about something, he won't take an idea from an already existing one, but come up with something inventive and fresh. Keep in mind, he lives in a country where the educational system teaches students to memorize, memorize, memorize, where creativity is almost obsolete. Students don't even know how to use their own words in taking notes from a text. They'll copy directly from the writing into their notebook. To me, this so-called eccentric student, whom the other students call "crazy", is actually the most profound, interesting, and connected individual. I say, embrace your craziness. I have, even when I happen to prance and bounce around in song while teaching class ("Under the Sea" is a favorite of mine to sing; it's such a great song!) and if the students are lucky, I'll break out with my King Kong impression. They can't get enough. Everytime I go into class, the students say, "Teacher, King Kong please." They think I'm crazy and tell me so, but I just consider myself lucky that they give me such flattery. To end, here's a great quote from Robin Williams.

--"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home