ER my source for world news
I just watched an ER episode all about Darfur. I am going to take this opportunity to admit that I knew nothing about the situation in Darfur until watching ER. I am not proud of the fact that my worldly knowledge comes from a lineup formerly known as Must See TV, but appreciate NBC, or the ER people, or whoever is responsible for trying to educate a nation about things going on in the world, that it is easy to remain oblivious to.
It's easy to become overwhelmed and feel helpless with all the terrible things that are happening in the world, I guess that's why sometimes it seems easier just to remain ignorant to them. Ignorance is bliss. At the same time, it can also put things into perspective. I've been feeling very stressed out about jobs and moving and figuring out my life. It's good to step back and realize that I am literate, have always had a roof over my head and food to eat and have never really had to fear for my safety. This makes me a very fortunate person. Whether or not I find a "grown up" job and start my new "grown up" life seems a little less important. The greatest wisdom I gained during my year off from school was that I could not be in school, not really have a career, and still be ok. I'm still the same person no matter what I am doing.
Raising my awareness of genocide and war and all of the tragic things happening all over the world, also gets me thinking about what a luxury service speech language pathology is. I mean, yeah, I know in a lot of ways it's not. . . but you can still see my point. It's all perspective I guess. But for the child who has never gone to school and has gone days without eating, I doubt that saying a good "r" sound or using irregular past tense correctly is really too high of a priority. (yes, I do a lot more than fix speech sounds and grammar errors) I just wonder if maybe I shouldn't be devoting my life to some sort of greater cause. It's never to late I guess, we'll see where life takes me. . . or really, where I decide to take my life.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter
--Martin Luther King Jr.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home