Saturday, June 17, 2006

too judgemental??

Jen and I went to a beach in Fall Creek yesterday, which is usually deserted, or only has a couple of people at it, so we like to go there. There is a little island that never has anyone on it we hang out on. Across from this island there is a chunk of beach where there are spray painted signs that label it a nude beach. First and foremost I would like to point out that spray painting a label on something doesn't make it so. We were chillin' on our island when a guy came along to the part labeled "nude" and sure enough, he obeyed. We likened it to a car wreck. . . you don't want to look, but you can't not. We went over to another part of our island and were just sitting in the river talkin' 'bout boys when we noticed the naked guy (now wearing shorts) walking toward our stuff. We decided to go back to our stuff just incase, but as we got up, and started walking he started talking. "oh, didn't mean to scare you away, I was just going to see if I could come hang out with you guys, it's a little lonely over there" finally I said, "sure" and we all went back to our stuff. We had a fairly normal conversation with naked guy for about 15 minutes. . . then all of a sudden, "I'm just going to tan my ass if you guys don't mind" but it wasn't really said as a question, as the shorts were already off. He then commented that no one could see us over here anyway. a minute or two later, he commented that it was unfortunate there was the road not too far away. It is at this point that I was convinced he was going to try to kill us, and was calculating if Jen and I could take him in necessary, and what sort of weapons he might have in his backpack. We didn't want to seem unenlightened, or like we couldn't handle the nakedness, so we hung out with him for about another 45 minutes or so, at which point we were hungry and had had enough sun and called it a day. So I was thinking to myself as I lay next to naked guy, (jen was on the other side of me, she had a nice buffer, i was right next to him) that maybe I was just being judgemental. Clearly he was ok with his nakedness and why did it have to be such an issue to me?? Lots of places have nude beaches, it's perfectly normal. . . then again I don't live in one of those places, I live in the midwest. . . where people wear clothes! I'd still torn on if it wasn't that big of a deal, or if it is one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me. (oh, because it seems relevant to people I tell the story to, we estimate naked guy to be early thirties)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home