Monday, November 27, 2006

old at being young, young at being old

I am frequently torn between my desire to live simply and renounce material possessions, and my desire to own nice furniture. In the long run, I have a sinking suspicion the furniture will win.

In less than a month I have to start paying back my student loans. While I was living on my loans it never seemed like real money, and I always thought by the time I have to pay them back it wouldn't seem like much money. Well, I'm there. And it seems like a lot of money. I feel like I've really hit the heart of my mid 20's (and I guess technically last Monday was the exact midpoint of my 20's so that is only appropriate). In that transitional stage where responsibilities are more real and the wardrobe is business casual but furniture is still second hand and dinner frequently comes out of a cereal box and nearly every aspect of my future is a giant question mark. It can be liberating but at the same time overwhelming. And in my particular case, a little lonely. We spend our first 18 years with our family, after that I think a lot of times college kids become eachothers family, and then you start your own family. My college family is now spread out across the country (or really the world) and I don't have my own yet. Luckily there are times like Thanksgiving where my real family and my college family are all together and I'm reminded I'm not really alone. I think it will be enough to last me til Christmas.

3 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger D.J. said...

I totally know about the furniture thing. Most of my furniture is totally crappy and not matching and stuff. And I'm totally pumped about buying a house next summer and putting nice furniture in it. And making it all nice in side, etc.

And if you ever feel sad about your loans, partake in a little schadenfreude and find joy in the fact that my loans are probably at least twice yours. Hurray for germans and great words like schadenfreude.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Here, here! Well spoken, Tara.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara, you have like zero loans. Go buy some damn furniture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home