to be or not to be
A person will be as happy as they make up their minds to be
--Abraham Lincoln
I believe that, I do. So why do so many of us choose to be unhappy. I choose it too, and don't know why. Of course there are times that things happen beyond our control, that for a moment would make it impossible to feel happy, but if we are talking about happiness in a more general sense I do believe it is a choice we make. What is it that causes so many people to be afraid to be happy? Sometimes I think that it is I allow myself to be happy, and then something happens and I lose it, that recovery will be that much harder. If you never let yourself get to high, you know you'll never fall too hard. . . but I guess you'll also never see the view from the top and I think there is a good chance it's pretty amazing. It comes down to deciding if its worth the risk. I think that a lot of people also feel guilty about being happy, when they know others around them aren't. It's like when you get in a group of girls, and someone starts talking about their flaws, the instinct is to jump in with your own. . . like that scene in Mean Girls where Lindsey Lohan says she has bad breath in the morning. There is a quote from a book I really enjoy that says "you can take back your life, suffering is not noble, you are allowed to jump for joy." I know for me that's really important to remember. Conversations can often turn to a contest of who is the busiest, most stressed etc, as though it is a contest, and the winner is allowed to wallow in their self-pity the most. But suffering is NOT noble, and in many instances is a choice, one that I don't need to keep making.
Here is where this turns even cheesier. . . but there is a book i got to use with some of my kids, that says, "I can make today the best day ever, by the things that I say and the things that I do." We have the power to make our lives better, my challenge to myself is to start using that power.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

2 Comments:
Thanks for you post Tara. I really enjoyed this one. I am very well aware of the fact that people feel more comfortable being unhappy then being happy and it´s something that I have always tried so hard to fight againt and to allow myself to be happy, but I have noticed lately that it has become much harder. It really sucks you in, which is so sad. Why do the happy people have to join the unhappy people? Why can´t it be the other way around? Anyway, this is a topic that I would like to continue with you in April, okay? I have too many opinions on this one to put into a comment. Thanks again for your post!
I think you should move south. Cold temperatures depress people. It´s a fact that the sun produces a chemical sustance that makes us happier. Sex and chocolate help too. So you know how easy you can be happy!!
Post a Comment
<< Home