education ramblings
Week two of my student teaching is almost complete, and it's gotten me thinking. Thinking about how unfair life is in a lot of ways. As I meet some of my students families, I can't help but think of their future, and in many instances, how screwed it looks like they will be. I have a professor who always insensitively stated that stupid people have stupid children. Naturally our reaction was to take offense at what a rude narrow-minded comment that was. At the same time sometimes I can't help but admit that it's true. Whatever you want to say on the whole nurture nature question, some people are just smarter than others. I realize this doesn't at all translate into automatic success, as of course there are very successful people without amazing IQs, and many very unsuccessful geniuses. I recall having a debate with someone, when I was of course on my soapbox berating our social systems and how in many cases children born into poverty didn't have nearly the opportunities that wealthier children had, and how education was the great equalizer, but children in poverty don't really have the same access to education. . . etc. you've heard it all before. He then asked me if I was saying that poor people are stupid. Which of course got me very offended, because that would be the same as the mean things my professor says. Or, in a more politically correct way, was I saying the same thing? I guess all I'm really saying, is what my mom would tell me whenever I would complain about things being unfair, "sometimes life isn't fair." I will never be a good singer, and some kids will never be good readers. . . but I guess I could take voice lessons and get better, and if people take the time to work with that kid at an early age (or I guess any age) to practice reading and work on strategies they'll get better. I'll never be the next American Idol, but maybe I could carry a tune, and maybe that kid will never write a novel, but maybe they could read at grade level. I guess all I can do is not waste time bitching about the system, the lack of funding, how overworked educators are, and just do the best I can to help make a difference. (Even if, on my more pessimistic days, I can't help but think the kid is screwed). I'm not alone in this thought either. In the words of one of the early childhood special ed. teachers, "you know, if he was in a different environment, he might stand a chance at being normal. . . but in that home, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell" . . . and she's probably right.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home